Saturday 16 December

Minutes of the Management Committee


Wednesday 13th August 2008

Present: Tony Struthers Chairman
Gareth Gammon
Tony Shaw
Graham Smith
Liza Smith
Paul Molloy
Katherine Stagg

Apologies

Bob Ayer, Hilary Ayer, Nick Keith, Vincent Edberg, Linda Boatswain

1. Minutes

Minutes approved except for a minor correction. Amendment to be made.


2. Treasurers Report

PM circulated copies of report for partnership budget as well as Town Design Statement budget. The current balance at the end of July 2008 was identified as £4,581.87.

3. Overview of the Hidden Britain project – James Turner

James Turner gave an overview of the services offered by Hidden Britain and explained their funding structure. JT gave examples of towns in the local area which has been adopted by Hidden Britain. These include Botley.

GG summarized the limitations of Petersfield from a destination marketing perspective. He said that Petersfield suffers from a lack of brand identity characterised by a poor accommodation offer. He also identified the entry points into the town as unappealing with poor signage. Lack of cohesion amongst local groups was also identified as a problem.

The group was invited to comment on Petersfield as a visitor destination and all agreed that there is significant potential for improvement.

JT outlined the process of the Hidden Britain “audit”. The process is outlined as:
1) Audit
2) Action Plan
3) Identifying project funding

The role of Hidden Britain is to act in an advisory capacity with the delivery of the action plan being undertaken by the town partnership. Further information is available on the Hidden Britain website – http://www.hiddenbritainse.org.uk/

All agreed that Petersfield would make an ideal candidate for a “Hidden Britain” audit and James Turner agreed to take the town on as a case study.

LS agreed to supply James Turner with a range of tourism and business data relating to Petersfield as visitor destination and a location for business. LS to liaise with JT.

4. Group Updates

Town Design Statement – Tony Struthers
The draft is now being written. TS circulated the draft content list for the document for comments.
LS to send link to TDS wiki to James Turner.

Local Transport


Tony Shaw’s report had been distributed previously. TS reported that there is now no guarantee that the Town Access Plan will take place but emphasised the importance of a close dialogue with the County Council.

TS outlined his project to assess all 90 bus stops in the Petersfield area.

Retail and Business


GG confirmed that a meeting is to take place on 3rd September to discuss the future of the market square. The meeting will involve a number of local stakeholders and will cover issues such a licensing and event management. GG will represent the Retail and Business Group of Petersfield Tomorrow.

5. Local Development Framework

 

Tony Struthers confirmed that the next meeting of the LDF will take place at the Alton Maltings on 21st October.

 

6. Community Planning

Tony Struthers updated the group on a forthcoming meeting with Sue Halstead (from the Hampshire Association of Local Councils), Chris Paterson and other representatives from community planning groups to discuss the development of guidance material for those groups undertaking health-checks and town partnerships.

7. AGM


Tony Struthers express concern over the direction of Petersfield Tomorrow and proposed a dedicated meeting of the board to discuss the agenda before the AGM on 27th October. Ideas for the agenda include a presentation by the Town Design Statement Group and by James Turner from Hidden Britain.

The suggested dates for this were either 23rd or 24th September depending on venue availability.

LS to arrange a meeting with Tony Struthers and Bob Ayer to discuss the AGM to take place in early September. LS to confirm date for board pre-agenda meeting.

 

Signed………………………………………………………..

Date…………………………………………………………..