Petersfield Town Partnership - Biodiversity Group
Minutes from Petersfield Biodiversity Action Plan Meeting 19/5/10
Linda Munday, Peter Jones, Bob Ayer, Robin Hart, Jamie Cummins, John Charnock Wilson, Amanda Greenlee, and 1 other - sorry did not catch name, Andy Foy (HBIC).
Andy Foy passed around maps that showed areas:
- Sites with detailed survey data in the Petersfield area, for which detailed results are available
- BAP priority habitats around Petersfield
- Ancient woodland and SINCS around Petersfield
It was also explained that some species are on the BAP list but these may differ from other lists (cant remember names) . Statutory SSSI and non statutory SINCS and Ancient woodland ?.
The ecology of road side verges is overlooked and may be important in Petersfield.
A list is available on websites of groups that do surveys.
Many things have not been surveyed for in this area yet, especially insects and other invertebrates. The cheese snail is of particular interest to the Hangers - looks like a small white cheese.
Specific groups do specific surveys, e.g. for moths. HBIC undertake surveys themselves or use specialist groups contracted in.
Deciding on boundaries
Someone suggested that the landscape character assessment may help us decide what boundaries our BAP would fit in to.
Tracy suggested that we extend boundary to link to/with existing conservation areas that are of particular interest and as far as the next BAP.
Andy suggested that we stick to town boundaries for now.
This was decided upon also because of neighbouring villages who may be undertaking BAPS of their own and at this early stage it was unsure what would be required.
Bob said he would circulate a data base (sorry did not catch what it was specifically)
Name for the BAP
A name was suggested for our BAP - Petersfield Area Biodiversity Action Plan
- Jamie said he would contact environment agency, and Nick Heasman of the Southdowns Joint Committee,
- Somebody mentioned Alyson Tingley and the Sustainability Fund,
- Linda suggested Tracy write a letter to Martin Healey outlining what we would require funds for,
- Produce a leaflet to hand to local groups and interested individuals, Tracy to begin this process and circulate ideas.
- Linda suggested a short survey to be undertaken in the street to investigate peoples' knowledge of biodiversity in Petersfield – peoples interest and knowledge. Tracy to action.
- A press release to announce the formation of the biodiversity action plan and to give people point of contact who might be interested in participating at various levels. Highlight that this is the UN year of Biodiversity, (Tracy to action)
- Peter Jones said something about a small grant that may be available from HCC?, HALC?
- There is space on the Hidden Britain website for something about BAP which will go on in a fortnights time- who was to action?
Meeting Closed with thanks to Andy Foy for coming with his contribution and to Linda for minutes of last meeting,
Date for next meeting was set-
16th of June, 1.30pm in council chamber